Adopt An Animal
Visit our virtual storefront to purchase your Adopt-An-Animal today.
If paying by mail, please make checks payable to the Zoological Society of New Jersey, Inc., at the following address:
Turtle Back Zoo
560 Northfield Avenue
West Orange, NJ 07052
For $30.00 you can join in supporting one of the larger (and therefore more expensive to provide for) animals. The same yearly program benefits apply. A shared adoption makes a thoughtful gift. As the zoo grows and expands, animals not listed in the brochure may be adopted for an initial fee of $30.00. Animals sometimes die or are moved to another zoo; should it be necessary, you will be notified and your adoption will be transferred to another animal of your choice. Due to popularity, one animal may have more than one sponsor.
It is hard to imagine the thousands of hours of preparation that go into the making of all those meals.
Our Shopping List:
- 8,000 pounds of meat for the wolves and cats
- 20,000 pounds of grain and seed for waterfowl and other birds
- 6,400 pounds of meat for owls, eagles and falcons, etc.
- 113,617 pounds of hay
- 65,000 pounds of grain for hooved animals
- 46,000 pounds of fresh fruit and vegetables
- 50 dozen eggs
- 6,000 pounds of fish
From the 1,000 pound Bull Bison to the tiniest baby Turtle, all of the more than 200 animals at Turtle Back Zoo get hungry every day. Their basic dietary needs are provided by a yearly budget administered by the Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs of the County of Essex. Your sponsorship money goes toward helping with special dietary items and animal care when the budget projection fails to stretch as far as anticipated. Not only food but maintenance and medical needs, when necessary, will be assured through your interest.
- You will receive an adoption certificate suitable for framing, as well as a fact sheet about your animal;
- You will receive a photograph of the sponsored animal to display in your home or office, as well as a decorative “I Adopted An Animal” magnetic frame.