ZOO DIRECTOR, Essex County Turtle Back Zoo
The Zoo Director is responsible for the planning, organizing, staffing, motivating, directing, and management of Turtle Back Zoo, a 30-acre zoo located within Essex County South Mountain Recreation Complex, West Orange NJ. The zoo welcomes 750,000+ visitors annually and has most recently expanded its animal collection to include the African Adventure featuring giraffe and lion.
- Identifies and develops relationships with foundations, corporations, individuals, community and industry organizations.
- Supervises Zoo management and staff.
- Develops and modifies standards, policies, and procedures for efficient day-to-day operations.
- Provides guidance and vision for the zoo’s long-range master plan in alignment with the zoo’s mission.
- Ensures the organization meets its revenue goals and is fiscally responsible with its operation.
- Pursue the Zoo’s mission and insure the zoo meets all standards of its accrediting bodies – AZA, ZAA and American Humane.
- Serves an ex-officio member to the Zoological Society of New Jersey and represents the zoo as a spokesperson within the community and media.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proven track record of success in a leadership position. Experience with a government organization and a union structure is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a diverse staff.
- A knowledge of AZA and USDA standards and guidelines.
- Experience working with local officials.
- Experience in project management, exhibit development, strategic planning, and public speaking.
More information is available at www.turtlebackzoo.com. Salary and benefits commensurate with experience. The County of Essex is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Please email CV/resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org