Come play and learn outdoors with TBZ’s very own family nature club, Nature Adventurers!
Nature play is playing WITH nature, not just IN nature and a great way to interact with nature no matter your experience level or play style. Run, climb, build, dig, or even just sit and experience the sounds, smells, and sights of the outdoors. Nature Adventurers will visit different spots in the Essex County South Mountain Reservation each month. Tickets may be purchased alone or with a Nature Adventurers backpack to take home filled with goodies helpful for nature play in both our activities and your own self-guided adventures.
October 13: Wizards, witches, superheros…animals? Don your best (outdoor play friendly) costume and go on a special Halloween adventure as your character. Hike the woodland trails and gain superpowers through mini-games and observing the “powers” of wildlife along the way. The quest can only be completed if we work together- can you do it? Spare masks and capes will be available for those that need a costume, but we encourage everyone to dress up and get creative!
The event starts at 1pm and lasts up to 2 hours. We are NOT meeting at the zoo- please park in the Cherry Lane parking lot directly across from the Regatta Playground that is near the Boathouse at South Mountain Reservoir. Walk towards the meadow and woodland trail entrance directly next to the parking lot (do not cross the street) to meet your group. Look for the Nature Adventurer’s sign along the road for assistance. Your Nature Play Leader, who will be wearing a green shirt and blue backpack, will be waiting near the trail in view of the parking lot. Please note that this location may change according to the weather or access concerns. Your Nature Play Leader will send an email to all participants up to 24 hours prior to the event if changes occur.
Who Should Come
Nature Adventurers is for all ages and all abilities, though best recommended for 6+. There’s something for everybody- teens and adults are invited and encouraged to join in the fun, not just little ones! If you have accessibility concerns, please contact your Nature Play Leader, Sarah Burroughs at 973-731-5800 ext.236 or email@example.com who will work with you to accommodate.
What to Bring
- Close-toed shoes and long pants (recommended for playing in tall grasses and the woods)
- Reusable water bottle*
- Sunscreen, bug spray, raincoat, poncho, or other seasonal or weather gear
- Epi-pens, inhalers, or any other necessary medications for anyone in your family
- A camera to capture the memories
- Your imagination and eagerness to have fun!
What Not to Bring
- Anything you don’t want to get dirty, wet, broken, or lost
- Electronic devices you might get glued to (phones are ok if you’re just taking pictures). We will be ‘unplugging’ and do not want the electronics to become a distraction.
- Grumpy attitude!
*NEW! Nature Adventurers Backpacks
We now have drawstring, water resistant backpacks available with your own starter kit of adventuring supplies to take home! These are not required but recommended if you intend to come often or go on your own adventures outside of our meetups (or both!). Inside you’ll find:
- a reusable water bottle
- a telescoping net
- a blank nature journal
- colored pencils and sharpener
- a laminated copy of the Nature Adventurers Handbook
- a guide for Nature Play Resources that we recommend including books, websites, and apps
- a water resistant pencil case
- 3 animal print adhesive bandages
- a small bug jar with magnifying lid
- 2 Nature Adventurers stickers
These are while supplies last. We have them in the following color themes: Magenta, Red, Pink, Orange, Yellow, Lime Green/Black, Forest Green, Teal/Bright Orange, Light Blue, Royal Blue. When purchasing a ticket with a backpack, please indicate what color(s) you would like. If you do not select a color or we run out of that color, we will select one for you.
Cancellations with refund may be made up to 7 days prior to the originally scheduled date and time; no refunds will be offered less than 7 days prior to the originally scheduled tour date and time. Cancellations may be made by phone at 973-731-5800 ext. 236 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.